Building and Developing

Temporary supply

If you are developing a site and require water for building purposes then you may want to consider applying for a temporary water supply to the site.


The most common way to get a water supply is to connect a service pipe from the existing water main to your site. In most built up areas there is a water main in the road or footpath nearby which you can connect to. In more rural areas this may be further away and require a longer service pipe to be laid.

A temporary connection can either be disconnected when the work is complete or it can be used for a domestic water supply once the property is constructed. You'll need to advise us which is the case when you apply. You are responsible for notifying us if and when this supply is ready to be disconnected if it is only a temporary connection.

You’re responsible for laying the new service pipe to the boundary of the site or to within a reasonable distance of the nearest main. You'll need to install a tap at the end of the service pipe and ensure it is within a lockable box.

Applying for a temporary supply works in the same way as applying for a standard connection for a new property.

An alternative to a new connection would be to hire a stand pipe whilst the works are taking place (details of this can be found at the bottom of this page).

Step 1

Things you need to know before you apply.

Step 2

You apply and submit any relevant documentation.

Step 3

We provide a quote.

Step 4

You lay services.

Step 5

We inspect & connect.

Step 6

We provide your bill.

How to get connected

How to get connected to existing water mains with our detailed step-by step process and things you need to know before you apply.


It's unlikely that you would apply for a temporary sewer connection.

If there's a temporary need to remove sewage from site cabins or to remove groundwater from a development site then this can be done by a tanker and pump. We cannot accept ground water into the public sewer. Any connection to the existing public sewer would need to be applied for using our adoption and connection process.

Do you need a standpipe instead?

A standpipe is a free standing pipe which is fitted with a tap. This can be attached to an existing hydrant to get a water supply to a site