Building and Developing

apartments surrounded by a canal with canal boats
Other developments
Looking to connect your flats and apartments to our water mains and sewers? Just follow our handy steps or call us on 0330 678 1481.

Flats or apartments

If you are building a new block of flats/apartments or converting an existing building into flats, you are most likely going to need a new water connection to our water main and a connection to the public sewer to take the sewage away.


The most common way to get a water supply is to connect a service pipe from the water main to your property. In most built up areas there's a water main in the road or footpath nearby which you can connect to. In more rural areas this may be further away and require a longer service pipe to be laid.

For each flat that will be separately occupied, if it requires its own water account and can be sold off as a self contained flat, it will need its own water meter and service pipe. This is achieved by either laying separate service pipes from the flats/apartments to the highway boundary or (if there are 5 or more flats) there's an option to have  one large diameter connection onto our main which you split internally to each flat.

These are the high level process steps for a new connection to an existing water main.

Find out more how to get connected to an existing water main

Find out more on how to get connected to existing water mains by reading our detailed step-by step process and things you need to know before you apply.


There are several ways of getting rid of the sewage from your property. You may choose to connect to the public sewer and let us deal with it for you.

In most built up areas there are public sewers nearby which you can connect to. In more rural areas this may be further away so you may want to consider other options such as septic tanks & soakaways. Any new connection to a public sewer will need our approval, it is illegal to connect to a sewer without our consent. Even if you are re-using an existing sewer connection we need to approve the connection and any changes to existing flows.

You may need to apply for an adoption agreement before applying to connect to the sewer

Building bedsits or shared accommodation?

If your development has shared kitchen & bathroom facilities (e.g. bedsits, retirement home, student accommodation) which will remain under one ownership, then this is deemed a commercial property and will normally have one  connection.

See our commercial property page for more information.

Get in touch with us

You can call us on 0330 678 1481 or you can email us.