Building and Developing
Connecting water to flats or apartments
There are some key things you need to know before you’re ready to apply for a new connection. Once you have considered each of these you are all set to send us your application.
How do I apply?
You’ll need to submit the following:
- A Water connections application form
- A location plan – showing the site boundary in relation to the existing houses/roads and the proposed route of the new water service pipe(s)
- An application fee
- Soil report (if applicable)
You can apply on the same application form for multiple water and sewer connections to our existing water mains.
When you're ready to apply download our application forms:
How much is it going to cost?
Once you have submitted your application we will assess your connection requirements and may arrange to visit your site. We’ll provide you with a quote specific to your project.
The quote will most commonly be made up of the following costs:
- The connection costs for all work/materials needed for us to make the new connections
- Traffic management - depending on the location of our water main there will be different costs involved in managing the traffic to enable the connections to be made safely
- Infrastructure charges - all first time connections to our network are liable to pay infrastructure charges
- There could be further site specific charges which we’ll discuss with you.
Who is responsible for what?
You're responsible for installing and maintaining the service pipe (if large diameter connection) or pipes (if standard connections) from your flats to the edge of the private land boundary; this point will be agreed before the quote is issued. If the main is some distance away you're responsible for installing and maintaining the service pipe up to our main.
You can get more information about the technical requirements for laying your service (PDF).
We're responsible for the part of the service pipe once it leaves the private land boundary and comes into the public highway to the water main.
Once you've installed your service pipe you need to make payment.
If you're having a large diameter connection we will deliver the water meters for the individual flats and you install them on the internal pipe work.
Who is responsible for carrying out the connection?
Once you've laid your service pipe please contact us and we’ll arrange to come out and inspect it. If you have used a WaterMark plumber to install the service pipe you will need to provide their details with your payment.
If everything is ok, we’ll arrange for our contractors to make the connections to the water main. If you are having individual standard water connections we will install the water meters in an external boundary box at the time of connection.
When will I get my first bill?
You will need to provide us with the Royal Mail postal address for the new property and the occupier details of the property as soon as this is known. We will create a new account and arrange for the first bill to be sent out.
If you require any more detailed information on our processes - please read our guidance documents.