Building and Developing

Before you apply

There are some key things you need to know before you’re ready to apply for a new connection. Once you have considered all of these you are all set to send us your application.

We do have a list of approved plumbers. If you use a WaterMark plumber to install your service pipe and your internal plumbing we may not need to come out and inspect the work before we complete the connection. (We will carry out audit checks on a random selection of these jobs).

Here are some guidelines on the  typical size of connection you will require  based on the number of individual flats/apartments you are building.  

•  Up to 5 flats – You should lay individual customer service pipes out to the highway boundary.  We will provide a standard 25mm or 32mm connection for each flat.   

• 6 or 7 flats - You should lay one large diameter service pipe out to the highway boundary and split this internally. We will provide a 50mm connection.  

• 8 to 21 flats - You should lay one large diameter service pipe and split this internally. We will provide a 63mm connection. 

• 22 or more flats - You should lay one large diameter service pipe out to the highway boundary and split this internally. We will provide a 90mm connection.  

If you're installing any storage or require additional flow for fire supplies you will need to confirm the details on the application for us to assess as this could affect the connection size.

If not, and you would like to know the position of the nearest main you can request a copy of our maps.

We will need you to supply a plan showing where you are hoping to lay the new service pipe to. If you do not know the exact position of our existing water main please show an indicative route and this can be discussed with you before we prepare our quote.

If there are, and your flats will affect the assets, you may need to apply to have these diverted

If you are unsure you can request a copy of our maps.

If you need to cross any land owned by a third party to install your new service pipe you're responsible for arranging this.

If the existing water main is within private land we will arrange this with the land owner, this will be discussed during the site visit.

If the site has previously been used for anything other than Greenfield land (undeveloped land in a city or rural area either used for agriculture, landscape design, or left to evolve naturally) we ask that you submit a soil report (also known as ground investigation report) with your application which our labs will check.

If you cannot submit a soil report we will ask you to use protective pipe work instead of MDPE to ensure your new water supply and our network does not become contaminated. 

If you know of any previous water supplies to the site and can provide us the details you may be able to reduce the cost of the infrastructure charges. 

Our quotes are valid for 6 months. If you don’t think you’ll be ready for your connection in that time then now isn’t the right time to apply.

If you are now ready to apply, please return to our step-by-step process that will explain how to prepare and send an application to us.