Building and Developing

someone filling up a glass of water from the tap
New site developments
You can choose to have your new water mains or service connections laid by Hafren Dyfrdwy or by an accredited self lay contractor. If you choose a self lay contractor you simply need to tell us about the progress of work on site.

Self lay


As an alternative to having new water mains and service connections laid by us, a developer can arrange for the work to be done by a self lay provider (SLP). The SLP simply needs to be accredited under the Lloyd’s Register Water Industry Registration Scheme (WIRS). The work also needs to meet the requirements of the Self-Laying of Water Mains and Services – A Code of Practice for England and Wales which is sometimes simply referred to as the Code of Practice.  

If you decide to use a SLP then we recommend you read the Code of Practice before making an application. If you require help you can view our procedural guidance. Prior to your application you should also familiarise yourself with the Self-Lay process (PDF) / Self-Lay process (PDF) Welsh.

Once you’ve entered into a Self Lay Agreement all we ask is that you tell us about the progress of the mains laying and service connections on site by using our Notification Forms as follows:

If you need to get in touch please see our Contact List (PDF). 

You can get connected based on your development type.


*Please save the above forms to your device before editing and emailing to us

Please read Code of Practice for the Self-Laying of Water Mains and Services – England and Wales – May 2017 edition.


All work relating to new sewers will need to be carried out by a contractor you hire. We do not have an approved contractors scheme for sewers. Our process is to and we will inspect the work carried out. Please click on the relevant development type for more information.

You can get connected based on your development type


Check if the contractor you choose is accredited?

Lloyd’s Register operates, on behalf of Water Utility Companies, the Water Industry Registration Scheme (WIRS).

Get in touch

Call us: 0330 678 1481