Building and Developing
As an alternative to having new water mains and service connections laid by us, a developer can arrange for the work to be done by a self lay provider (SLP). The SLP simply needs to be accredited under the Lloyd’s Register Water Industry Registration Scheme (WIRS). The work also needs to meet the requirements of the Self-Laying of Water Mains and Services – A Code of Practice for England and Wales which is sometimes simply referred to as the Code of Practice.
If you decide to use a SLP then we recommend you read the Code of Practice May 2017 before making an application. If you require help you can view our procedural guidance.
Once you’ve entered into a Self Lay Agreement all we ask is that you tell us about the progress of the mains laying and service connections on site by using our Notification Forms as follows:
- If you require a point of connection enquiry please complete our Assessment Form (PDF).
- Once point of connection response is received please complete a Mains Application Form (PDF).
- If you require a source of water please send us a Form 1 (PDF)*.
- When you’re ready to start laying the main please send us a Form 2 (PDF)*.
- When you’re ready for the mains to be made live please send us a Form 3 (PDF)*, along with the documents listed in Form 3. The Fire Hydrant Adoption Certificate (PDF) can be used for both interim and final sign off by the Fire & Rescue Service (FRS). Here's the Asset Data Update Form (PDF) that needs to be completed, along with the Signed Off Site Sheet (PDF) and Routine Inline Mains Connection Form (PDF).
- When you’re ready to make service connections please send us a Form 4 (PDF)*.
- Once the service connections have been completed please send us a Form 5 (PDF)*.
If you need to get in touch please see our Contact List (PDF).
Please read Code of Practice for the Self-Laying of Water Mains and Services – England and Wales – May 2017 edition.
All work relating to new sewers will need to be carried out by a contractor you hire. We do not have an approved contractors scheme for sewers. Our process is to and we will inspect the work carried out. Please click on the relevant development type for more information.
Lloyd’s Register operates, on behalf of Water Utility Companies, the Water Industry Registration Scheme (WIRS).
Get in touch
Call us: 0330 678 1481