Building and Developing

Before you apply

There are some key things you need to know before you’re ready to apply for a new connection. Once you have considered all of these you are all set to send us your application.

You're responsible for laying the underground service pipe to the property boundary and the internal plumbing you can use any plumber or contractor to carry out this work. We do have a list of approved plumbers. If you use a WaterMark plumber to install your service pipe and your internal plumbing we may not need to come out and inspect the work before we complete the connection. (We will carry out audit checks on a random selection of these jobs).

A domestic property is normally connected by a standard 25mm or 32mm water connection. This provides a flow rate of up to 1 litre per second and a minimum of 1.5 bar pressure at the boundary stop tap which is sufficient to supply a two storey house.

If not, and you would like to know the position of the nearest main, you can request a copy of our maps

We'll need you to supply a plan showing where you are hoping to lay the new service pipe to, if you don't know the exact position our existing water main show the indicative route and this can be discussed with you during our site visit.

If there are and your new house(s) affect those assets you may need to apply to have these diverted. Further information on assets is available on our building and developing page.

If you're unsure you can request a copy of our maps.

If you need to cross any land owned by a third party to install your new service pipe you're responsible for arranging this.

If the existing water main is within private land we will arrange this with the land owner. We can discuss this with you.

If the site has previously been used for anything other than greenfield land (undeveloped land in a city or rural area either used for agriculture, landscape design, or left to evolve naturally) we ask that you submit a soil report, also known as ground investigation report, with your application which our labs will check.

If you cannot submit a soil report we will ask you to use protective pipe work instead of MDPE to ensure your new water supply and our network does not become contaminated.

If you know of any previous water supplies to the site and can provide us the details you may be able to reduce the cost of the infrastructure charges.

More information on soil reports and infrastructure charges can be found in our FAQs.

Our quotes are valid for 6 months. If you don’t think you’ll be ready for your connection in that time then now isn’t the right time to apply.

If you are now ready to apply, please return to our step-by-step process that will explain how to prepare and send an application to us.