What to do if you have a leak or burst

If you have a leak or a burst pipe at home, you’ll need to take action to limit the damage it can cause. Here’s what you’ll need to do.

Most leaks are slow, often unseen, and develop gradually. If you have a leak from pipes or taps at your property, it's important to get it fixed as soon as possible. Over time, leaks will often get worse and could lead to damage to your property or belongings.

Not only that, but persistent leaks waste large amounts of water - a precious resource that we need to protect.

In extreme circumstances, if you have a large and powerful burst, you should turn off the water supply as soon as possible.

You can do this by turning your stop tap off. This will isolate the leak, stop any more water entering your home and prevent further damage to you property.

When you think you might have a leak at home

If you've got a leak at home, whether it's obvious or out of sight, the following steps will help you get it fixed.

How to check for a leak

If you think you have a leak at home, there are a few signs to watch out for which may indicate a leak that you need to get fixed.

Find a plumber

If you need a plumber to help install or repair plumbing at your home or business, you can find and hire a professional on our list of approved tradespeople.

Report a problem

If you spot a leak, sewer flood or any other water related problem just let us know using the form, and we will fix it as soon as possible.

Contact your insurer

You should also contact your insurer to see if your home or contents insurance covers you the costs of any damage and repairs.

How to turn your stop tap off

If you're experiencing a major leak or burst, you may need to switch your stop tap off, to temporarily stop your water supply.

If there’s a burst pipe at home, the fastest way to stop the flow is to turn your stop tap off.

If you’re on a water meter, the stop tap is likely to be next to your meter.

If you’re unmetered, your stop tap will be at the point the water pipe enters your home.

This is often under the kitchen sink or in the downstairs toilet – but may also be in a utility room or garage.

If your home has a water storage tank – the sort normally found in the loft or airing cupboard – it may have an additional stop tap or valve near to the tank itself. This will shut off the water supply to your hot water system.

If you can’t find your stop tap or shut off the water, a neighbour in a similar property may be able to help, or you can contact us for advice.

Check that your stop tap works

Sometimes stop taps can seize up if they’re not used often. The last thing you want if you have a burst pipe is a stiff stop tap.

If the tap is stiff, you can usually loosen it up with some plumbers grease or lubricating spray.

If it’s still stiff after that and you’re unable to turn it off, contact a local WaterSafe plumber who can check the stop tap and repair it for you.

You can also contact our support team who will come and isolate your supply in an emergency if you’re unable to use the internal stop tap to turn off your water supply.

How we find and fix leaks

Our teams are constantly monitoring our network, checking for subtle changes in flow rate and pressure that may indicate leaks.

Understanding pipe responsibility

Responsibility for the maintenance and repair of the water and waste network is split between us and home owners.

Leakage allowance

After you've had a leak, you may be able to claim back the cost of the lost water on a one-off basis.