Support for customers with additional needs
Everyone could do with a bit of extra help at times, and we’re here to provide you, your family and your friends with any additional support that is needed. If you require help paying your bills, support with medical treatment, or you need to receive your bills in an alternative format, we can work with you to find a solution.
The Priority Services Register
The Priority Services Register is a list of our customers who require additional support and help in times of need.
For example, if we need to turn off the water supply or lower the water pressure in an area to carry out repairs, that may impact on any medical treatment you receive.
Having your details on the register helps us to plan maintenance work around things like medical treatments that require water supply, such as dialysis. It also means we’re able to quickly locate you if you may need extra help during an unexpected incident such as a burst water main.
You can join the Priority Services Register if any of the following are true:
- you are of pensionable age
- you are disabled or chronically sick
- you have a long-term medical condition
- you have a hearing or visual impairment or additional communication needs
- you receive care or assistance from another person
- you are in a vulnerable situation
You could be considered vulnerable and be eligible for help from us if you are somebody who:
- has a mental health condition that impacts your ability to understand your bill
- requires connection to a water supply for medical treatment
- needs extra support for a limited amount of time
- lives with children under the age of five
- has mobility issues
Additional support we provide to customers on the Priority Services Register
Once you have registered, we can provide any combination of the following methods of support.
Depending on the circumstances of each situation, we could:
- provide advance warning of supply interruptions
- move your water meter if it’s difficult for you to access
- make sure you have an alternative water supply during outages
- schedule work to the supply around medical treatments like home dialysis
- wait longer for you to answer the door if we know you need more time to get around
- give you various accessible bill formats to help with visual impairments, dyslexia and other conditions
- help you appoint a nominated person for us to contact if you’re unable to deal with your own account
- communicate with you in another language if English is not your first language
- use a doorstep password scheme to help protect you from bogus callers
The Priority Services Register helps us to help you. It gives us all the information we need to make sure we look after you and support your needs. We are also able to offer support for you if you're finding it difficult to pay your bill.
If you dialyse at home it’s essential you tell us in case we need to interrupt your water supply. Your hospital may have already registered you with us, but if you’re unsure, please register for our Priority Service. You can do this by completing our quick online form or if you’d prefer a form to be sent to you in the post please call 0330 678 0679.
If you find it difficult to leave your home, or have a medical need that requires you to use a lot of water, please let us know. You can do this by registering for our Priority Service. Simply complete our quick online form or if you’d prefer a form to be sent to you in the post please call 0330 678 0679. If you do have a problem with your water supply, call us on 0800 085 8033.