My Account

The WaterSure scheme

WaterSure is a national scheme that can help you if your income is low and you use a lot of water, which makes managing your account and payments difficult.

How WaterSure could help you

WaterSure could help you if you're struggling to pay your water bills.

If your application for WaterSure is successful, your water bill will be capped at the price of an average metered water bill in our region.

Eligibility for WaterSure

To be eligible for assistance through WaterSure, you must:

  • have a water meter, and
  • receive certain benefits

If you do not have a water meter, you must have already applied for one and be waiting for it to be installed. If you are on an assessed charge tariff because it's not possible to install a water meter at your home, then you will also be eligible if you meet the remaining requirements.

You must also live in a household where one of the two following scenarios are true:

  • three or more children under 19 and in full-time education live in the home, or
  • somebody in the home has a medical condition requiring the extra use of water

The person with a medical condition, or the children under 19, must use the property as their main home.

The benefits you need to be on

To be eligible for WaterSure, somebody in your household must receive one of the following benefits:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Pension Credit
  • Universal Credit
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Child Tax Credit at a rate higher than the family element

You will need to provide proof the benefits you receive when you apply for WaterSure.

Qualifying medical conditions
If you are on a water meter and receive on of the qualifying benefits, then you will be able to get support through WaterSure if you or somebody you live with has one of the following medical conditions:
  • Desquamation (flaky skin disease)
  • Weeping skin disease (eczema, psoriasis, varicose ulceration)
  • Incontinence
  • Abdominal stoma
  • Crohn's disease
  • Ulcerative colitis
  • Renal failure requiring home dialysis

You can also apply for the WaterSure scheme if somebody in your household has any other medical condition requiring above average use of water.

You will need to provide confirmation of a diagnosis from your Doctor when you apply for support.

How to apply for WaterSure

If you think you meet the criteria, you can download the WaterSure application form, complete it and send it to us. Make sure you include all your supporting evidence. We also have a Welsh version of our WaterSure application form.

Please post your application to:

Hafren Dyfrdwy,
PO Box 409,

How to re-apply if you're already on WaterSure

If you want to remain on the scheme you need to confirm you’re still eligible by completing the self-declaration form.

We may write to you from time to time to ask for documentary evidence. This is to make sure the WaterSure scheme is only available to those who meet the criteria.

If your circumstances have changed and you're no longer eligible, we'll remove you from the scheme and your bills will no longer be capped.

We’ll backdate the new charges to the date we last received documentary evidence that you were eligible for WaterSure, and we'll send you a new bill.