Help and Contact

I have an Individual Voluntary Arrangement; what do I need to do?

Dealing with your insolvency

Your appointed Insolvency Practitioner will usually contact us to tell us about your Individual Voluntary Arrangement (IVA). However, if you receive a reminder from us, you should contact us with the details of the IVA in case we haven't been notified yet. Once we know about your IVA, we will provide you with a new account (if applicable), for charges after the date of the IVA, and write or call you to tell you. Our Scheme of Charges goes through how we calculate water service charges when you are declared insolvent.