My Services

Sewer pipe responsibility

There are two main types of sewers – private and public. Private sewers are the responsibility of you, the customer. While public sewers belong to us, the water company, so are our responsibility. In addition, there are highway drains and gullies that are the responsibility of local authorities.

Sewer ownership diagram
What belongs to the council?

The highways authority, usually the county council, deals with blocked highway drains and road gullies that are causing surface water flooding. You’ll find a contact number for your county council highways department with a quick search online.

Is one of our sewers blocked? Let us know immediately.

If your query is urgent call our 24-hour Customer Centre on 0800 085 8033.

Phone (expands content) (collapses content)

Emergencies (24hrs)

0800 085 8033

Business Customers

0330 678 0646

Email (expands content) (collapses content)

Feel free to email us with any enquiries

Contact us
Languages (expands content) (collapses content)

Get help in your preferred language

Other languages