Under the Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999, some work cannot begin until we have given consent.

We will assess the application and grant or deny consent.

If granted, your consent may be subject to certain conditions, which you must follow.

If we do not give consent within ten working days, you must consider it granted. We will not withhold consent without good reason.

The installer, owner or occupier must make sure the work meets the Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999.

You need to tell us about the following types of work:

You also need to tell us about the proposed installation of a:

  • bath with capacity of more than 230 litres, as measured to the centre line of overflow
  • bidet with an ascending spray or flexible hos
  • single shower unit connected to a type of supply pipe specified by the regulator. A shower unit can consist of one or more shower heads within a single unit. Drench showers installed for safety or health reasons are exempt
  • pump or booster drawing more than 12 litres per minute, connected to a supply pipe
  • unit which incorporates reverse osmosis
  • water treatment unit that discharges used water, or uses water for regeneration or cleaning
  • reduced pressure zone valve assembly, or other mechanical device, for protection against category 4 or 5 fluids.
    • The valve needs a commission and compliance test when first installed and then a compliance test at least annually by a water industry accredited tester. All certificates must be submitted within 10 days of the test taking place to the water company and a copy also needs to be given to the person responsible for the valve. In the event of a failed test within our area of supply please notify us immediately using the email address below. 
  • garden watering system, unless hand operated
  • water system laid outside a building that is less than 750mm, or more than 1350mm, below ground

If you’re a member of WaterMark or WaterSafe, you won't need to notify us in advance of some work. Instead, you will have to certify upon completion.

These exemptions are:

  • extension or alteration of a water system on any premises other than a house
  • a bidet with an ascending spray or flexible hose

Information you must include with the notification

When you notify us of work, you will need to include:

  • The name and address of the person giving notice
  • If different, the name and address of the person we should send consent to
  • A description of the proposed work or any significant change of use of premises
  • The location of the premises and their use or intended use
  • A plan of the parts of the property where the work will take place
  • A diagram showing the required pipework and fittings
  • The plumbing contractor’s name and address, if an approved plumber is to do the work

How to notify us of work you are going to carry out

You will need to submit a notification from, sometimes known as a Reg5 form, before the work begins.

First, you’ll need to download a notification form [PDF] and complete it. 

Once you have completed the form, you’ll need to send it to our Water Fittings Regulations team.

You can email our Water Regulations team, call them on 0345 266 7922 or write to:

Hafren Dyfrdwy, Water Fittings Dept

West Service Road, Raynesway

Derby DE21 7BE.